Digital marketing is one of the most powerful tools for businesses looking to expand their reach and win over new customers. For businesses large and small, having a good presence on social media has become as essential as having a website. In the digital age, search engines are no longer just websites like Google – they include social networks like Twitter and Facebook. Today, people rely heavily on these platforms to find what they want online, personally and professionally. Therefore, neglecting your business’s social media presence puts you at risk of being left behind in the competitive world of online marketing. In this blog, we’ll look at why it is so important to have a strong presence across the various popular platforms and learn how to use them effectively for your business needs.
Using Social Media as a Search Engine
Many consumers go straight to social media when conducting a search. According to a recent study by Google, “Almost 40% of young people, when they’re looking for a place for lunch, they don’t go to Google Maps or Search.” Instead, “They go to TikTok or Instagram.” In 2021, TikTok became the number one spot as the most visited domain in the world – Google took second place for the first time in fifteen years.
Social Search Engine in Action
Consumers using social media as a search engine is not a new concept, but it’s becoming more common. You may have used social media for a quick search. Many consumers use social media to search for local businesses, receive shopping recommendations, or learn a new skill – without ever leaving the social platform. Here are some common social media searches that may sound familiar:
- Are you looking for the best restaurants near you? You might turn to Facebook and search for recommendations in community groups or make an “ISO pizza restaurant near me” post.
- Are you looking for a specific company? You may turn to their company’s Facebook or Instagram page before heading to their website.
- Want to get the latest on the TV or news program you are watching? You could do a Twitter search or see what’s trending.
- Want to find the latest events happening near you? Perhaps you search for local business events on the “Events” page on Facebook or head to Instagram to search on their “Explore” page.
- Do you want to learn how to fix something at home or get some beauty tips? You might turn to TikTok or Youtube to search for tutorials.
- Are you searching for new apparel or home decor? Perhaps you head to the Instagram “Shop” page for all your shopping needs.
Social Media Optimization
Is your social media presence optimized for how consumers engage with brands today? Today, many consumers look for personalization, instant updates, and peer recommendations. There are a few things you can do to make sure consumers can find you on social media:
- Update business information as much as possible
- Add a link to your website to drive traffic
- Add relevant hashtags
- Have a strong understanding of your target market
- Be mindful of relevance and intent with content
- Add high-resolution profile and cover photos
- Monitor social media analytics
With billions of monthly active users on many social media platforms, it is vital to have a strong presence and to optimize them to meet your business needs.
Need Help With Your Social Media Strategy?
Symboliq Media is a marketing and design agency specializing in social media, web design, development, and SEO practices. We are always up to date with the latest trends and strive to help our clients be seen and heard online. We’ll build a content strategy that places perfectly designed and well-captioned posts in front of the right eyes at the right time. If you need help getting started, contact us!